kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Superb Maharoof lifts Sri Lanka to 235
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates: A superb unbeaten 69 off just 54 balls by Farveez Maharoof helped Sri Lanka shrug off the loss of early wickets and post a competitive 235 for nine in the first ODI of the three-match series, here at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium on Friday.

Umar Gul was the most successful bowler with three wickets, but vice-captain Mohammad Asif was the most impressive, conceding just 26 runs from his ten overs.

Shoaib Malik enjoyed a fruitful first 26 overs as captain of Pakistan, relying on the traditional Pakistani ingredients of fast bowling to reduce Sri Lanka to 103 for five at a packed, festive stadium.

Malik had lost his first task, the toss, but reaped the benefits of his returning deputy Asif and Umar Gul, as Sri Lanka struggled to establish any kind of momentum.

It seems whatever the length of break Asif takes from the game, he slots back in immediately as if he never went anywhere. Out came immediately the probing line and nasty lengths, and whatever little movement the pitch offered. An exemplary eight-over spell, of 16 runs and the wicket of Sanath Jayasuriya was about par for his course.

Pakistan's other early success, as Sami wavered, was the result of some fine fielding by the recalled Salman Butt and some disastrous decision-making from Upul Tharanga, who saw a second run where none existed.

Sri Lanka won the toss and chose to bat against Pakistan as both sides returned to the field for the first time after wildly contrasting World Cup experiences.

Sri Lanka, led by the outstanding Mahela Jayawardene, were also without key players, including Chaminda Vaas, Kumar Sangakkara and Muttiah Muralitharan. But they still retain an impressive top order and bowling attack.

Scoreboard

Sri Lanka won toss

Sri Lanka

W U Tharanga run out (Salman) 17

S T Jayasuriya lbw b Asif 1

C K Kapugedera b Umar 28

*D P M D Jayawardene c Kamran b Umar 18

L P C Silva run out (Razzaq) 47

T M Dilshan c Umar b Razzaq 15

†H A P W Jayawardene run out (Imran) 20

M F Maharoof not out 69

C M Bandara b Umar 6

S L Malinga b Sami 3

M K D I Amerasinghe not out 1

Extras (lb3, w3, nb4) 10

Total (9 wkts, 50 overs) 235

Fall: 1-4, 2-34, 3-61, 4-72, 5-103, 6-141, 7-177, 8-203, 9-215

Bowling: Mohammad Asif 10-1-26-1 (1w); Mohammad Sami 10-0-49-1 (1w); Umar Gul 10-0-61-3 (1nb, 1w); Abdul Razzaq 10-0-53-1 (3nb); Shahid Afridi 10-0-43-0

Pakistan

Imran Nazir, Salman Butt, Yasir Hameed, *Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Yousuf, Shahid Afridi, Abdul Razzaq, †Kamran Akmal, Mohammad Sami, Mohammad Asif, Umar Gul

ODI debut: Ishara Amerasinghe (Sri Lanka)

Umpires: M R Benson (England) and S L Shastri (India). TV umpire: R B Tiffin (Zimbabwe). Match referee: J Srinath (India)

Remaining matches: Sunday (tomorrow) 2nd ODI, Abu Dhabi (d/n). May 22 3rd ODI, Abu Dhabi (d/n)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Fiza* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
i knowwwwwwwwwww!!!! we won........isn't tht amazing...i watched the whole match from 1 till 8...pak played so well...anyways all the best to our team for the future matches and series..
KashIsHeaven thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
yay...but not surprised...pakistan is da best in cricket and even austrailia knows that:P
modishh thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
yup.....hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyy πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ v won..good job by Afridi πŸ˜‰
Neha1985 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
oh thats so COOL
PAKISTAN WON THE MATCH
COOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLll πŸ‘πŸΌ
JonasBros_me<3 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
yaaay im so happy!!! finally lol
sweet_kuri786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
lolllllll yh man pk bet once agn2 sri lankaaaaaaaaaaaa keepi it up BOOM BOOM AFRIDI lolllllllllll n well dne2 shoiab malik!
srkangel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
wow u can tell by the by reading the names of the players e.g afridi and akhtar that pakistan must have won. πŸ‘
OnlyHope thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Yeyyyy...!! Time to party πŸ₯³
Irish_Pride thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I am so happy dat Pak won.........I mean diz is so amazing they don't hava a coach and they did so gud widout a coach........I mean Sri Lanka went to finals in world cup and Pak beat them it feels so gud....I am really proud of Pak team πŸ‘