*Fiza* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Latest Interview of Vaneeza Ahmed

Vaneeza Ahmed
If you believe the myth that "models are dumb" then you haven't met Vneeza Ahmed (Vinny). This model is not only beautiful but extremely bright and intelligent. She is also one of the most adored artistes on TV.

< =text/> < src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/>

Vinny shattered a lot of our stereotypes about the modeling industry in Pakistan. We learned how models there not only have to manage their looks and appearance, but their entire careers with little or no professional training or help.

Most of all, Vinny kept us laughing throughout the interview. She is a spontaneous, fun person with a great sense of humor, that lets her laugh at herself as much as some of the absurd realities that women face while breaking the attitude barrier in the Eastern culture.

Following are some of the highlights of our conversation with Vinny.

Mag4you.com: Tell us about yourself, where were you born and raised?
I was born in Murree on June 29, 1971. My schooling was in Lahore, Islamabad, and I also studied in Germany and Denmark. I did my senior high school years from Beacon House in Lahore and my undergrad from Kinnaird. By the way, people always misspell my name - it's Vneeza.

Mag4you.com: When and how did you get into modeling?
I started with a "women only" fashion show at Kinnaird. We got a suit as an incentive to do the show. Then I did a lot of random shows for family and friends, which I don't count in my "professional" modeling career. My first professional shoot was for Generation's InStep - which was also a launch for other new models including Iffat Raheem, Kiran Bokhari, and Afshan. My first big fashion show was for Calzoom in Karachi, where I worked with Amna Haq and Afshan.

Mag4you.com: What was your family's reaction to your modeling career?
Of course, my mother wasn't happy about my decision to be a professional model, and I'm sure my relatives weren't too happy either. But I was happy with the exposure, opportunities, and the financial rewards of this career. I was enjoying myself and so I persisted. After all these years, I feel that my mother and extended family are all very proud of me.

Mag4you.com: What's been your best modeling experience?
The best moment has to be when I modeled for Donna Karan in Dubai. I was chosen by Libaas Magazine for this show. It was a really interesting experience - the requirements that international designers impose on what you can and "cannot" wear on the catwalk were quite different from what we are used to wearing. I had to improvise and put my foot down on some of the demands they made on the models. It was a very successful experience and I learned a lot.

Mag4you.com: So what was the worst experience?
That's got to be when I was kidnapped (laughs and rolls her eyes). We were wrapping up a shoot in broad daylight, with a large audience around us. As I was getting into my car, with my photographer and make up artist, a man approached me. He shoved a gun into the door as I was about to close it, and before I knew it, two other men had gotten into the car from the rear doors. They started driving us towards Korangi, an industrial area. Obviously, I was really upset and scared, when suddenly I saw this huge billboard, one of those that have every little detail on them. It was advertising a GPS car tracking device. An idea just struck me when I saw that billboard and I told one of the kidnappers that I had the same GPS system in my car and he won't be able to get far before people track us down. Fortunately he bought it. He dropped us off and took everything but us and the car with him. I had just got paid (in cash) and they took all that money, plus the clothes, makeup, and camera. Long story short, I just got unlucky that day. But it was amazing how blatantly the whole thing happened and how nobody around us did anything to stop it or report it to the police.

Mag4you.com: How do you compare Pakistani models with international models?
You can't compare daal-chaawal with steak. They're equally delicious, but two different things. Western models have completely different figures from ours, because they don't eat niharis like we do. Also, our models are generally shorter and not suited for the catwalk by international standards. Western models also start at a lot younger age and they retire by the age when I started my career. You cannot even compare Pakistani models with their Indian peers, who get a lot more training, work with dozens of choreographers, and compete with so many other models, that they end up being a lot more professional. But Pakistani models are gorgeous and we have our advantages. We can have much longer modeling careers, because we cater to an older market, which allows us to continue modeling well into our forties. In fact, the more senior you are, the more you are in demand, because you become seasoned and experienced.

Mag4you.com: Have you ever thought of what you'd be if you weren't a model?
I've never really thought about it - maybe I would have settled down and been a housewife. I also thought of doing my Masters in Psychology at one time, so maybe I would be a psychologist. But I don't feel like I've missed out on anything by not studying after my BA. I've learned a lot through my modeling career - met hundreds of people - traveled a lot - and made a lot of money. I'm very satisfied with what I've achieved in life.

Mag4you.com: How is your acting career going and are you just doing TV or considering films?
It's going well. I've done a lot of TV plays and recently finished an India Pakistan joint-production in Dubai. It was a great experience. I was paired with Vikas Bhalla, who's quite a well known TV artist and singer from India. It's a really interesting family drama and love story. I am open to doing films - and have got some offers. If I get a serious offer whether within Pakistan or Bollywood, with a good script and decent role, I'll definitely go for it.

Mag4you.com: What about marriage - any plans?
As I tell my mother, "Allah Mian Kee Marzi Kay Baghair Ek Pata Bhee Nahi Hilta". (Laughs). Of course my mother is very keen for me to find a guy and settle down. I don't know when it will happen and what kind of a guy it will be. I don't have any particular requirements about the guy, except I won't compromise on my independence. The guy will have to be decent and liberal.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Zhasan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Interesting ....thanks 4 sharing, does'nt she dating Ali Azmat???
srkangel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
oh god i am shocked she is 36 years old and still modelling and is so gorgeous. i thought she would be 28 or 29.
wini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
OH mera interview 😉 ....nahi nahi yaar i m only 18 not 36 😲 ......j/k
anywayz thanx a lot fiza for sharing that with us 👏
qtgurl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
she is 36!!!!!!!! n she is not married yet!!!
amy22 thumbnail
Ineteresting interview, although I do not like her.

I watched her on Celebrity slambook once, that interview was also nice. And yes, I also thought she was dating Ali Azmat. He's 36, too, by the way. He's hell hilarious. You hafta watch his interviews. Always makes you laugh your head off.
*Fiza* thumbnail
i lyke vaneeza...i think she is a great actress 😃
noorejahaan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
TFS! i luv Vaneeza Ahmed! she's so pretty..😳 but yea, i totally didn't realize she was 36! she looks sooo young for her age! 😲