meera"s interview!!!

aishiya thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
The Rediff Interview / Meera

'Even if I have kissed, what wrong have I done?'

Syed Firdaus Ashraf | February 24, 2005

Is it a big deal for a hero and heroine to kiss on screen? Well, if you are the Pakistani goverment, it certainly is!

In fact, an outraged Pakistani government has fined popular Pakistani actress Meera for kissing Ashmit Patel in her Bollywood debut, Nazar. The film is directed by Mahesh Bhatt's wife, Soni Razdan.

"A certain lobby in Pakistan is purposely tarnishing my name because I am doing a Bollywood film in India," Meera tells News Editor (Entertainment) Syed Firdaus Ashraf.

"I have come here as a peace ambassador and there is a particular lobby in Pakistan that cannot digest this fact."

Excerpts from the interview:

What is the fine the Pakistani government has imposed on you for doing the kissing scene in Nazar?

At the moment, I have no idea.

I have got a letter from the Pakistani government but it's currently at the Pakistani embassy in New Delhi. I don't know the details of the letter.

Right now, I am in shooting in Panchgani (a hill station near Mumbai).

I am very disturbed by this news. Whatever happened is very bad.

We are doing this film to promote Indo-Pak ties. People have neither seen the promos, nor the film, and they have started gossiping about the kissing scene. These are the people who are against Indo-Pak friendship, and they are targeting this film through me.

Do you think this outcry against you is to malign you?

I think some people in Pakistan are trying to destroy my image. But I don't know who they are. They are trying to make sure our film industries do not come together.

I will talk to the Pakistani high commissioner and the information ministry of Pakistan and clear my stand.

What is Nazar about?

Nazar is the first joint-production between India and Pakistan.

I am a Pakistani passport holder, and the first Pakistani heroine to come to India and shoot for a [Indian] film.

Those who are opposing me are saying Ashmit Patel is Hindu and I am Muslim. They have stooped to such a low level, and are sounding so stupid.

Mahesh Bhatt is a sensible filmmaker and he is one of the biggest intellectuals of South Asia. I am sure people know he will not get into anything like this.

As far as the film is concerned, it is a mystery. It is a positive subject and a film that will promote friendship between the two countries. There is no controversy in it.

We just performed at a Sanjay Dutt show. In the same way, some Indian artists are going to Pakistan to perform. But a section of people don't like it.

What is the general opinion of the people in Pakistan about this issue? Are they positive about a Pakistani actresses working in India?

Very positive! In Pakistan, people tell me, 'Meeraji, go to India and work!'

Kissing scenes are becoming common in our film industry. Don't Pakistani heroes and heroines kiss on the big screen?

I don't want to talk about this. I don't want to get into a controversy. I am a positive girl, and don't want to talk negatively.

If it becomes a serious matter, I will open my mouth. Now, I want to avoid controversies. I want to keep the friendship between the two countries intact.

My question is that we see kissing scenes in the Indian film industry...

(Interrupts) Yes, it is normal in your industry. I have seen Madhuri Dixit, Sridevi and Aishwarya Rai doing kissing scenes.

It is very backward to object to that. Our culture is the same; we are the same people! We feel the same way -- what people in India consider obscene, people in Pakistan consider the same thing obscene!

I don't understand -- even if I have kissed, what wrong have I done? It does not matter. It is just a normal shot in the film!

Have you ever kissed in a Pakistani film?

No, never.

The censor board in Pakistan will not allow it. It is a Muslim country.

If you compare that with Bollywood films, you see kissing all the time. Shah Rukh Khan is kissing his heroines on their neck and cheeks. It is very casual and normal here.

Inshallah, I will have a press conference later and clarify my stance when I come to Mumbai.

Are Pakistani actresses allowed to wear revealing clothes or is that censored as well?

No, it is not that restricted.

If they say they've fined me, then I can show many Pakistani films to the government that were not censored! I can directly point those films to the government and ask them where the censor board was then!

It is just because I am doing a role in India that they are objecting.

I am playing a role of peace of ambassador in India. They are trying to destroy my role because I am the first Pakistani actress to work in India.

But this gossip is making my life miserable. If I start asking questions, no one will have the answers.

When Pakistani actresses Salma Agha and Zeba Bakhtiar came here, no objections were raised against them. So why are they targeting you?

They are British passport holders. I am the first Pakistani actress with a Pakistani passport. After 56 years, I am the first Pakistani actress to act in India.

My family is very upset. I am not able to give a shot, as I am mentally tortured.

I am getting calls from Pakistan and I will make a file of this and meet Musharraf sahab (Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf) and discuss it with him.

I don't understand -- why am I being tortured? What wrong have I done?

How was the experience of coming to Bollywood?

Great! India is a great place to work in, and people here are very good.

How do you compare it with your film industry?

People here are very bold and open-minded. We are not bold in our films. The censors here are not that strict, compared to our censors.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aishiya thumbnail
Meera: I don't like vulgarity

March 04, 2005 17:36 IST

Pakistani actress Meera created much controversy when she reportedly kissed Ashmit Patel in Mahesh Bhatt's production, Nazar. Apparently, the Pakistan government intends to impose a fine on her and ban other Pakistani actors from acting in Indian films.

Meera, however, maintains she is Pakistan's peace ambassador to India.

Don't miss Meera's rediff.com interview!

She answered questions from rediff.com readers in an exclusive chat on Thursday, March 3.

For those who missed the chat, here is the transcript:

Sohail : You are a shining star of our film industry. We are proud of your intellect, calibre and the maginitude of your fabulous successes. So please do not feel scared at all. Only a set of youngsters might have made you upset. Just ignore it. Work with zest to compete your collegues at a place which is already filled with grand stars. It is not easy to work with them. But you can, provide you do not loose heart.
MEERA : Thanks for your advice and for being my well-wisher. I will follow your advice. Thank you

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
pooja : heelo meera, how do u find indian movies?
MEERA : I like Hindi films, but not all hindi movies. I like films made by Mahesh Bhatt, Yash Chopra, and Karan Johan. I also like movies featuring Shahrukh Khan.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
SwapnilChauhan : Hi Meera,, You look awesome in black.. Who gave you this name and whats ur original name???
MEERA : My name is Meera. In Pakistan 'Meera' means 'Mine'. It is not the same as the Indian 'Meera'. I don't have any surname.

SUJIL : MEERA..WHEN U CAME TO INDIA TO WORK IN FILMS, WERE YOU PRESSURISED TO MAKE SUCH BOLD SCENES BY BOLLYWOOD BUFFS OR WAS IT JUST PROFESSIONAL COMPULSION THAT PROMPTED YOU TO DO SUCH SCENES...OR WAS IT JUST A PASSING THING IN A CAREER OF AN ACTRESS..I AM SUJIL FROM DUBAI
MEERA : Firstly, I am a very famous actress in Pakistan. I became a superstar in Pakistan at the age of 16. When I used to walk on the roads, college kids used to run after me. I have seen fame since I was 15, so fame does not mean anything to me. I am a respected actress in Pakistan, and in future I will be a respected actress in India also. As far as bold scenes are concerned, I have not done any bold or vulgar scenes. But let me clarify this, that if the script demands then I will do it, because the profession demands. Nobody can force me to do anything on screen. I don't like vulgarity.

Amzad : What is your dream role?
MEERA : My dream roles are: 'Paro' in the movie Devdas, Kajol in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Rani Mukherjee in Black and Madhuri Dixit in Dil To Pagal Hai.

Musharraf : Meera,Honestly dont u think Pakistan film industry is nowhere close to India's
MEERA : India is a huge country compared to Pakistan. Why are we comparing the two countries?Pakistan is like a baby, while India is the mother. Pakistan has four states, compared to India's 28. So why are we comparing?

Jenser : Hi Meera, After beingvery sucessive in paktani cine industry how do you find your self in the Indian Industry and what major difference do you find between the both
MEERA : I will be successful in India also. I am confident of my work. There is no big difference between the Indian film industry and the Pakistan film industry, just the money difference. They pay you well in India, because the movies here have a big budget.

salman : Which male Bollywood star would you like to work with and why?
MEERA : I like Shahrukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Salman Khan and Hrithik Roshan. They are all very very good actors.

madmanhawk : Hi, if given a chance, will u stay back in India? or will u go back to Pakistan?
MEERA : Pakistan is my country and India is the place where I am working. When I feel I will come to Pakistan or come back to India. I am the ambassador of peace. I feel India and Pakistan are like two sisters. If I desire I will go to any of the sisters whenever I want.

arjun : hi meera , you are so beautiful . you'll surely give a lots of indian actresses a run for their money ..
MEERA : I want this to happen..:-) God has given me the talent, and I want to use it and show the world.Thanks for the compliment.

Shaan : Hi Meera... First of all hats up for ur work.Leave all the issues behind and go ahead.We all r there with u.After all u are just like any other indian actress for us now.So tell me whether you have any plan to settle down in india now or later???
MEERA : I am from Pakistan and I will never change my nationality. I am the ambassador of peace for both the countries.

amandeep : what u say about changing culture inwestern style
MEERA : Walk with the changing cultures in the world or else we will be left behind. You should be a good human being irrespective of the clothes that you wear. Never give up the good person inside you and your traditions and values.

NIC : WILL U MARRY ME,
MEERA : I will consider in future. I am busy right now....:-)

[email protected] : meera ,r u feeling sorry about the kiss
MEERA : Why should I feel sorry? I have not done anything wrong.

ankit : What all Indian projects after nazaar are u working in or any near future plans??
MEERA : I have many offers, but right now I have not signed any more films.

spontaneous82in : hii Meera...would u ever work in an anti-pak bollywood movie...the movie depicting kargil war or some of the many events...?
MEERA : I will never work in an anti-Pak bollywood film.

inder : Meera, would you now feel afraid of going back to Pakistan after all that controversy?
MEERA : I am not afraid of going back to Pakistan because my government is with me. It is my country so why will I not go there?

kvk_nati : Can name some of Pakistan Actor & Actress and who is most loving actor & actress their according to you
MEERA : I love all the actors and actresses in Pakistan. They are all my colleagues and I respect them a lot.

pushkar : Hi mira,You are so beautiful.if in pakistan people do not like to do these kind of kiss then what u can do.pls live in mumbai and do indian films for us
MEERA : Ok I will do Indian movies.

manic : hi mira what do u think about indian cricket team compare to ur team
MEERA : Cricket is a game. Both the teams are the same.

Urfanz : Do you belive in Item Numbers?
MEERA : If there is a good item number, I will do it.

chiragshah : how can u make relationship stronger with india and pakistan ? Clarify?
MEERA : I am here for the same reason. I am here to build the bridges of peace between the two countries.

satish_meera : Is is Kissing in PAK is Crime ?
MEERA : Kissing is not allowed in Pakistani films.

pral : Do you feel that movies can bridge the gap?
MEERA : Yes of course!

casper : WHAT WILL YOU DO IF THE PAKISTAN GOVT BANS U FROM ACTING IN PAKISTANI MOVIES?
MEERA : This is not possible.

Shoiab : Which is your favourite song?
MEERA : My favourite song is 'Kaho na Kaho' from Murder and 'Jadu hai' from Jism.

santhoshBANGALORE : Splendid work done...Great..Keep it up...gossips are a part of film industry...so may i know when is the release of this movie??we r eagerly waiting to see u in action
MEERA : The movie is releasing on 20th May. Thank you.

kashyap : MEERA,WILL U DO A FILM LIKE "SHEESHA" OR "JULIE"
MEERA : Never. I hate doing such movies.

Urfanz : How was the Indian film industry when they found that you were a pakistani actress, any hostile rep?
MEERA : There are some people who didn't like it, but otherwise everybody is nice.

MEERA : Thank you everyone. It was nice chatting to you. If your question was not answered you can contact me on this http://www.entertainment-world.tv/meera/contact.htm Good Bye

kalli thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I think nobody likes her, that's why there is no reply πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰
Thanks for the interviewπŸ˜›

Edited by kalli - 17 years ago
BlAcK eYeS thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I really don't like her 😑
aishiya thumbnail
omg u ppl are really mad. i didnt know that all of u really "love her" that much lollzzzhahahahah sorry just kidding , πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰
modishh thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
well..whts the point of takin an interview of a person no one likes πŸ˜•
tpm123 thumbnail
COME ON PEOPLE !!!!!!!! goodness people kiss everywhere now it isn't even a big deal....

now for those that don't like meera cuz of this y'all need to get a life...especially if u watch indian movies...
Meera is pretty too..
aishiya thumbnail

Originally posted by: tpm123

COME ON PEOPLE !!!!!!!! goodness people kiss everywhere now it isn't even a big deal....

now for those that don't like meera cuz of this y'all need to get a life...especially if u watch indian movies...
Meera is pretty too..

not every where and not all muslims... o.keyyy

ajnabi143 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: aishiya

not every where and not all muslims... o.keyyy

lolllllllllll.... well i don't like her.... she's too old and way too over

aishiya thumbnail
yeah , ofcourse i dont like here either 🀒 yakhii.. she is too much... eeeeeeeeeeeee

her interviews are just to see how stupid ppl are in this world πŸ˜‰ hahahaah lolzz