Sonu to perform for Wasim Akram

dures thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Sonu to perform for Wasim Akram
By: Tushar Joshi
April 27, 2007

Will perform a solo concert in Singapore with the former Pakistani cricketer in attendance

Taking A Thrill Pill: Sonu Niigaam
Sonu Niigaam has been spending the last few days taking utmost care of his vocals.

The singer will shortly be leaving for a string of solo concerts before embarking on a tour of the US.

Excessive riyaaz and long hours of recording have put Sonu's vocals at risk, prompting him to take adequate rest before a grand show in Singapore on April 29.

In the audience, will be a very special guest that Sonu is thrilled to be performing for — former Pakistani cricketer Wasim Akram.

Here, Sonu talks about his next album, the upcoming tour and his desire to start a column on his yet to be launched website.

Taking A Thrill Pill: Wasim Akram
What have you been up to recently?

I am currently in the middle of a series of solo concerts, after which I will be leaving for the US.

I am quite excited about my upcoming show in Singapore, because I've been told that Wasim Akram will be attending it.

Harsha Bhogle is a friend and said Wasim was keen on attending one of my shows. I enjoy watching cricket but I am not a hardcore fan, but it will definitely be fun to meet Wasim.

Besides that, I've also been working on two albums.

Tell us about these albums...

The first is a tribute to Mohammad Rafi, for which I am working with the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. The album will have 18 songs. For me, Rafi saab's songs are like bhajans. I hold them in that much respect.

I will be back in the city in between my solo concerts and record 14 songs that are remaining. Working with a full-scale orchestra is an out-of-this- world experience.

The next album is my private album titled Suno. It's semi-classical and has eight tracks. I can easily say this is my best work to date.

How are you preparing for your US tour?

Besides me, Ashaji (Bhosale), Kunal Ganjawala and Kailash Kher will also be performing. I think I'll be performing for over an hour and I plan to sit down and work out the details soon.

I don't consciously work on my look. I just let my hair grow out these days. There is no styling and I like it that way. I think singing and performing is more important than what you are wearing.

Sonu's column on science

Sonu says he has a habit of making notes about things he sees and learns.

"Initially, I used to carry a notebook, then I started typing things down on a laptop.

Now, I have this habit of recording everything on my mobile phone. Very soon, I will be launching a personal website.

On it, I plan to start a column on science and its implications on life," says Sonu.

"Right from my childhood, I've been drawn towards science, before I discovered music.

In my column, I plan to write about observations and theories that I have drawn from dreams and their scientific implications and connections to our day-to-day lives. "