Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

I forgot everything about the movie except Priya Anand

😆😆

the only thing I remember is her fake American accent

Originally posted by: InspectorShirke

What kind of colonial hangover it is? She lives in India not in America, she doesn’t need to speak in English. I think the movie just kinda encourages the fact that you should learn English to get respect.

No....English is a unifying language....its sad that people will connect a language with pride and will look down at those who can't speak it....but if we keep that mindset aside....it is useful to know English....if you go to a state in India....and you don't know the regional language ....yu will still be able to communicate in English.....no harm if she learned it....that she had to learn it because people looked down upon her was actually sad......no status should be attached to any language....

Just_Say_Cheese thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 5

Learning English is a bare minimum which people in India don’t realize. They keep on harping about how good their English is and look down on people who can not speak it or are not as fluent. I don’t know where you live but being a polyglot or multilingual is a luxury which not a lot of people in the West got especially the whites. That’s why they have made it compulsory in UK to choose at least one foreign language.

That's what this movie is trying to abolish. There are so many Shashi s out there. And their husbands and children who will be watching the movie have to realise that women can do a lot, if they try, if they actually want. And just not knowing English doesn't diminish their worth.

The movie is not in anyway saying only after knowing English, they deserve respect. Instead it's opposite.

But, one thing, why did her husband never tried to teach her English? Did he think her to be that incapable? Anyway, husband character is trash.

But, what do you think, him telling her to learn English, or trying to teach himself, would it have been insulting to her?

Edited by Ajeeb-ladki - 3 years ago
Dimdim thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Just read all the replies. Like someone already stated, in the movie she wanted to prove a point to her condescending family. And off-screen in India, English is the official language. In comparison, even the USA doesn't have English as an official language.

Honestly learning multiple languages is just an asset. One can't go wrong with it.

Edited by Dimdim - 3 years ago
roni_berna thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Because the movie's name was English Vinglish. However, she missed learning Vinglish. 🤔

Sadme-Me-Hu thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7

Sridevi knew English even before EV.

Filmistan thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Imagine getting independence from British to show English language as something empowering. I guess India should have never sought independence from British

While the colonial mindset does exist, English, French, and Spanish have become global languages. Having proper skills in either language ensures good job prospects in the international scene. The same applies to Arabic and Chinese these days.

Ktptalks thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Just because a person lives in India don't need to learn English? That's rubbish. I have travel to India 10 times. All the time i have met common hardworking people who have spoken very good English. Even a tea seller outside of cst mumbai spoke good English to me. The English language is an international language. There are countless opportunity when you know the language. So many benefits of it. There are people in India who can't speak Hindi . English will connect you to them. I believe every school in the world should make English as a compulsory language to learn.

Illyrion thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Imagine getting independence from British to show English language as something empowering. I guess India should have never sought independence from British

People think of the English as colonizers (because they most recently were obviously) but they were once the defeated and the colonized. The history of the British Isles is of repeated invasions by different groups of people. One of the things which most clearly reveals that history is the English language which is this incredible rule breaking misspelled mishmash so difficult for non-native speakers to master because the island was repeatedly invaded by people who forced the language to adapt to them (I’m linking to an interesting article for any other nerds who might enjoy it ☺️*). Once, it was conquering invaders who changed the English language. Now, it’s former colonies changing English. Every Indian who resents British colonialism should speak Indo-English every chance they get. Force the English language to bear everlasting witness to the colonization of India the same way it bears everlasting evidence of Viking subjugation. Don’t take tension, don’t have a doubt, do the needful and talk like this only. One day the world may ask your good name so that we can all felicitate you.

*https://aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages

1123190 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sadme-Me-Hu

Sridevi knew English even before EV.

This cracked me up for some reason.😆