Why did Sridevi learn English in English Vjnglish?

InspectorShirke thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

What kind of colonial hangover it is? She lives in India not in America, she doesn’t need to speak in English. I think the movie just kinda encourages the fact that you should learn English to get respect.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Just_Say_Cheese thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 5

It's always better to learn English. Not only for respect but she would enjoy life lot more. Look, she actually could enjoy English movies after learning English na..Even in India, she did that laddoo business, do you think all her clients can speak Hindi? She can communicate and increase her clients like that.

English is an international language and there are so so many benefits of it than just respect.

Edited by Ajeeb-ladki - 3 years ago
SriRani thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Yes all residents of India should stop writing in English ? I am South Indian...I learnt Hindi too though I lived in Hyderabad in India all my life.

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

She learned because she wanted to. Now what kind of dictatorship is this, asking her not to?

Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail

Comedy Crew

Forget about Sridevi learning to speak English, I am still surprised at the way that lady in the coffee shop behaved like that with Sridevi. I have been living in US since last 9 years and I have never come across employees behaving rudely with customers and insulting them in front of everyone. In fact, they try to be polite and helpful as try to explain stuff to people who don't understand things.

Coming to TM's question, I think it's not about learning to speak English. It's more about making her family realize her worth. In the end, her family didn't feel guilty of their behavior because she learnt English. She made them realize that she deserves respect too as a wife, mother and a fellow human being. Yeah, she could have said the same in hindi also but she indirectly but politely told to her family that "English speaking is not something that's impossible for me. See, even I learnt English so stop showing attitude and superiority complex to me". 😆

I watched this movie many years ago so don't remember much.

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

It wasn't about learning English, it was about her showing her condescending daughter and husband that she can do anything she wants to. It is just that they choosed the topic of learning English, it could have been anything from driving to handling computers and so on.

She wanted to learn English because she wanted to show her family that the reason she doesn't know English is not because she isn't capable, but because she never got a chance. If she is provided a chance, she can do anything.

Edited by MujheMaarjaneDo - 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Ajeeb-ladki

It's always better to learn English. Not only for respect but she would enjoy life lot more. Look, she actually could enjoy English movies after learning English na..Even in India, she did that laddoo business, do you think all her clients can speak Hindi? She can communicate and increase her clients like that.

English is an international language and there are so so many benefits of it than just respect.

Learning English is a bare minimum which people in India don’t realize. They keep on harping about how good their English is and look down on people who can not speak it or are not as fluent. I don’t know where you live but being a polyglot or multilingual is a luxury which not a lot of people in the West got especially the whites. That’s why they have made it compulsory in UK to choose at least one foreign language.

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Learning English was a metaphor in the movie. It was about learning a new language which allowed her to gain confidence in herself, to open her wings and fly from the constraints of her existence.

it was about seeing the world in a new light and shedding the relics of the past which only threatened to tie her down and face shame and humiliation.

English here stands for empowerment. English here stands for confidence. English here stands for access to the best that life has to offer.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I forgot everything about the movie except Priya Anand

😆😆

Originally posted by: mintyblue

Learning English was a metaphor in the movie. It was about learning a new language which allowed her to gain confidence in herself, to open her wings and fly from the constraints of her existence.

it was about seeing the world in a new light and shedding the relics of the past which only threatened to tie her down and face shame and humiliation.

English here stands for empowerment. English here stands for confidence. English here stands for access to the best that life has to offer.

Imagine getting independence from British to show English language as something empowering. I guess India should have never sought independence from British