Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

divaz thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: IshqBulaava

Lot of Muslims really liked the film and Fawad's character from the videos I watched but there were few ladies who were not happy with his character.

It's not only about religion. The people in the audience were from different nationalities, religion, race, caste, etc. The sad part is that I watched in US where homosexuality is more common and openly practiced. I just didn't understand the reason why people were laughing at serious scenes.

Any way majority has loved it as seen from the box office. I hope it scores big.
divaz thumbnail

Originally posted by: IshqBulaava

Joginder Tuteja
@Tutejajoginder
#KapoorAndSons - Fantastic Sunday with 11-11.5 cr coming in. Total so far: 25.5 cr+. Film is set to be HIT.
6:10 PM - 20 Mar 2016
Joginder Tuteja
@Tutejajoginder
#KapoorAndSons - 2nd highest weekend of 2016 Airlift 44.3 cr Kapoor & Sons 25.5 cr+ Ghayal OA 23.25 cr Neerja 22.01 cr Wazir 21.01 cr
6:12 PM - 20 Mar 2016
Joginder Tuteja
@Tutejajoginder
#KapoorAndSons - Dharma scores a good success. Fox gets it right again after Neerja. Content is the ultimate winner!
6:14 PM - 20 Mar 2016
2Retweets3Likes

Great job! 2nd highest despite of the fact that there was a huge India Pakistan match on Saturday and exam season. Very happy and a proud fan.
mz.gigglez thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
The main message to live life, overlook the differences, stick by your family and just be happy because we aint here for good and we got to make the most of our time esp with our loved ones. I must say i loved the Dadus character the most he was too adorable.
BornHyper thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I finally watched the movie last night. Do not want to write a full review because already so many have been posted here and my views are pretty similar.

Two things about the movie:
1. The pace - there was never a dull moment. I never looked at the watch during the course of the movie and thought that the interval came too soon. This itself speaks a lot about the storytelling and the audience involvement
2. The multi-layered characters, plot and emotions. Each character was well etched out and were complex in their own way. I liked the fact that some of the things were left to audience interpretation. For example, we were discussing whether Rahul wrote the ending for the book or Arjun changed the ending based on Rahul's comment. Why did they show that Rahul was reading the draft writing. Or for that matter, Rahul's pen was found by Arjun... What was the relationship between Harsh and Anu? Etc etc... This is one movie that deserves a second or even a third watch.

All in all loved the movie and the performances of the leads... Sid needs to polish his skills more, but do not blame him as the ensemble cast was beyond exemplary. Loved the free spirited Alia (Tia) in the movie. Also thankful that the director did not create any major MU between the brothers because of Tia.

Cannot end without talking about FK. He owned his each and every scene - am a proud fan today. One trivial thing - while he looks good throughout the movie, I liked his last 10 mins wala look better - when he comes to Conoor the second time.

P.S: really sorry to hear that there was giggling in the theatre in U.S. I watched the movie in Bangalore and I guess we had a more mature crowd. While there were enough laughs at Dadu's dialogues, there was silence during the last 30 mins.
Edited by Serotonin - 8 years ago
divaz thumbnail

Originally posted by: Serotonin

I finally watched the movie last night. Do not want to write a full review because already so many have been posted here and my views are pretty similar.

Two things about the movie:
1. The pace - there was never a dull moment. I never looked at the time during the course of the movie. Thought that the interval came too soon. This itself speaks a lot about the storytelling and the audience involvement
2. The multi-layered characters, plot and emotions. Each character was well etched out and were complex in their own way. I liked the fact that some of the things were left to audience interpretation. For example, we were discussing whether Rahul wrote the ending for the book or Arjun changed the ending based on Rahul's comment. Why did they show that Rahul was reading the draft writing. Or for that matter, Rahul's pen was found by Arjun... What was the relationship between Harsh and Anu? Etc etc...

All in all loved the movie and the performances of the leads... Sid needs to polish his skills more, but do not blame him as the ensemble cast was beyond exemplary. Loved the free spirited Alia (Tia) in the movie. Also thankful that the director did not create any major MU between the brothers because of Tia.

Cannot end without talking about FK. He owned his each and every scene - am a proud fan today. One trivial thing - while he looks good throughout the movie, I liked his last 10 mins wala look better - when he comes to Conoor the second time.

P.S: really sorry to hear that there was giggling in the theatre in U.S. I watched the movie in Bangalore and I guess we had a more mature crowd. While there were enough laughs at Dadu's dialogues, there was silence during the last 30 mins.

thank you for the review! I am glad it's only some ignorant people and not everyone.
BornHyper thumbnail

Review: Kapoor & Sons' Centers on an Indian Family's Flaws

KAPOOR & SONS " SINCE 1921

By RACHEL SALTZMARCH 20, 2016

Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
  • Tweet
  • Pin
  • Email
  • More
  • Save
Photo
Fawad Khan, left, and Alia Bhat in "Kapoor & Sons " Since 1921," a Shakun Batra film about a far-from-perfect family in Coonoor, India. CreditFox Star Studios

"Kapoor & Sons " Since 1921" isn't about the dynastic family of Hindi movie directors, actors and producers. But it does star one of them, Rishi Kapoor (son of Raj, father of Ranbir), who heavily (and skillfully) made up plays Dadu, the about-to-be-90 paterfamilias of a clan made unhappy by the usual secrets and lies and long-cherished grudges.

Directed by Shakun Batra, the movie starts as a comedy of family dysfunction. Dadu, who enjoys playacting his death, has a real heart attack. That brings home " to Coonoor, a hill station in the state of Tamil Nadu " his diasporic grandsons: Rahul, a successful novelist from London, and Arjun, an aspiring novelist from New Jersey. Arjun (Sidharth Malhotra), angry at his brother for stealing his ideas, feels like a chronic also-ran, and with good reason. Rahul (Fawad Khan) is frequently proclaimed the perfect son by his mother.

That older generation has its own agita. Papa (Rajat Kapoor, but not one of those Kapoors) has money trouble, and all signs point to him having an affair. Mama (Ratna Pathak) is restless and angry.

Mr. Batra, whose previous films include "Ek Main aur Ekk Tu," has a naturalist's feel for character and situations that's unusual in mainstream Bollywood. Even though "Kapoor & Sons" goes from lightly comic to more darkly dramatic to pretty overtly melodramatic, it never loses its lived-in quality or plunges into the absurd.

That's a tribute to its actors, who make their characters' wounds palpable but don't play them too broadly. (Rishi Kapoor, though, has a high old hammy time as the pot-smoking, po*n-approving, a-little-too-cute Dadu.) It's also a tribute to Mr. Batra and Ayesha Devitre Dhillon, with whom he wrote the script. They know how to press the story without pressing it too hard.

It helps that the movie plays against expectations, if gently. The foreign-returned grandsons here aren't swaggering wheeler-dealers in need of lessons about humility and home. They're writers who need to repair relations with their family. Rahul's secret is also a bit unusual for Hindi movies, and though you may guess it early, it plays out in a mostly satisfying way. When I saw the movie, the audience rewarded it with Bollywood's gold standard of approval: tears, and a few hoots.

"Kapoor & Sons " Since 1921" is not rated. It is in Hindi, with English subtitles. Running time: 2 hours 17 minutes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/21/movies/review-kapoor-sons-centers-on-an-indian-familys-flaws.html?_r=0

Edited by Serotonin - 8 years ago
Eggon_Snow thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
^^ Thanks, I was waiting for Rachel's review😃
Hifah thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Loved all members reviews.loved reading all critics review and so happy that movie is doing well.content is the king.ofcourse there are some ppl who will not like it because it's personal choice.its not necessary things I like others have to admire it.
_symphony thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
25 Cr is really good specially seeing we had a Indo-Pak match an no festival. Hopefully the next week will be strong.
Btw they have just released a remix of all songs I wonder when will they release saathi re...that song is something else
BornHyper thumbnail

Originally posted by: Malika

25 Cr is really good specially seeing we had a Indo-Pak match an no festival. Hopefully the next week will be strong.

Btw they have just released a remix of all songs I wonder when will they release saathi re...that song is something else

Talking of songs.. they never showed Nacho in my theater