Is it a strategic mistake by CSK opting to bowl after winning toss??

Opinion / Analysis

Viswasruti thumbnail
Posted: 22 days ago

CSK vs GT Score: CSK vs GT Highlights, IPL 2024: Chennai Super Kings send  Gujarat Titans packing, win by 63 runs in second match - The Economic Times

Is it a strategic mistake by CSK opting to bowl first after winning the toss??

At this stage of IPL, not only the points but the run rate also will play a vital role in making any team enter the playoffs, run rate will be just as important as points. 

If GT goes all out for a mere 100+ runs and forces CSK to chase it defeats the point. Or, as it happened, if GT posted a high score on the scoreboard and asked CSK to chase, it would immediately put pressure on CSK's batters! I think CSK should bat first instead of bowling! 

Alternatively, if they batted first and put in a competitive score, that would have increased CSK's run rate and put GT under pressure. 

What are your views on this point? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

I feel they aren't using their players properly..we arent getting good openings in power play..making rahane open after his poor form..and one opener who was working was sent at number 3...I feel we came very close and we could have chased it if they got good powerplay..after faf ..Watson .Devin convey ...this year that spot is empty.. powerplay is playing a lot of role in high scores and we are not using it effectively....may be they considered dew as a factor and chose bowling...as a unit CSk isn't up to mark..good bowlers are not playing...many batsmen don't have form..changes in batting order...that's more reason for fail is what I think personally 

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Neerasi29

I feel they aren't using their players properly..we arent getting good openings in power play..making rahane open after his poor form..and one opener who was working was sent at number 3...I feel we came very close and we could have chased it if they got good powerplay..after faf ..Watson .Devin convey ...this year that spot is empty.. powerplay is playing a lot of role in high scores and we are not using it effectively....may be they considered dew as a factor and chose bowling...as a unit CSk isn't up to mark..good bowlers are not playing...many batsmen don't have form..changes in batting order...that's more reason for fail is what I think personally 

Very good analysis Neeru. smiley10 

Yes, the prominent batsmen's absence and the present batters' lack of form dented CSK's chances in a big way. 

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

Very good analysis Neeru. smiley10 

Yes, the prominent batsmen's absence and the present batters' lack of form dented CSK's chances in a big way. 

Thank yousmiley27 I wish CSK qualifies for power play after winning next two matches ..I don't want MSD to retire at a low point 

-Sunshine thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail ICC CWC 2023 Participants 0 Thumbnail + 6

No, they took the correct decision to bowl first as chasing is easy at Ahmedabad.. GT would have done the same too.. 232 was gettable but they lost 3 wickets in no time.. match over!

This is only the second time in this season where a chasing team couldn't reach the target in Ahmedabad.

Edited by -Sunshine - 22 days ago