LizzieBennet thumbnail

Romance Renegades

Posted: 19 days ago

Book Title: The Roommate

Author: Rosie Danan

Genre: Contemporary M/F Romance

Year Published: 2020

Narrative type: Third person Alternating PoVs; linear timeline

Trope/s: Opposites Attract/ forced proximity/ slow burn (sorta)/ Forbidden love (again sorta)/ different worlds

Triggers: Sexual exploitation

Maturity Rating: 3? (Idk I read this book a while ago and know there's spice but can't recall how explicit it is but given the plot, it's surprisingly tame & it's a slow-burn

Book Rating: 3.75 / 5

Synopsis (Book blurb): 

House Rules:

Do your own dishes.
Knock before entering the bathroom.
Never look up your roommate online.

The Wheatons are infamous among the east coast elite for their lack of impulse control, except for their daughter Clara. She’s the consummate socialite: over-achieving, well-mannered, predictable. But every Wheaton has their weakness. When Clara’s childhood crush invites her to move cross-country, the offer is too much to resist. Unfortunately, it’s also too good to be true.

After a bait-and-switch, Clara finds herself sharing a lease with a charming stranger. Josh might be a bit too perceptive—not to mention handsome—for comfort, but there’s a good chance he and Clara could have survived sharing a summer sublet if she hadn’t looked him up on the Internet...

Once she learns how Josh has made a name for himself, Clara realizes living with him might make her the Wheaton’s most scandalous story yet. His professional prowess inspires her to take tackling the stigma against female desire into her own hands. They may not agree on much, but Josh and Clara both believe women deserve better sex. What they decide to do about it will change both of their lives, and if they’re lucky, they’ll help everyone else get lucky too.

Review:

Ok, this book surprised me. It went slow in the beginning and slumped in the middle but the end and some bits in-between made it all worthwhile. Plus I really really loved Josh. It surprised me that he was only 26. He seemed so much more mature. Clara moves in with him chasing after her childhood crush and soon discovers her room-mate has some undeniable prowess in an area she is woefully under-experienced in. Yup, he's an adult film star and a very well-known name in the p**n industry. He is currently cooling his heels a bit while figuring out his next move, while trying hard not to succumb to a big-time leech who's trying to lure him into hardcore stuff. Performer though he maybe, he still has ethics. But he still has to pay bills. He’s almost going to accept when Clara offers him a way forward and suggests making aesthetic and educational videos that teaches people about ermm.. pleasure. Josh is of course an expert at that and he ropes in his ex (with whom he shared an explosive on-screen chemistry) into this venture.

Josh tries very hard to resist Clara but ultimately gives in (of course he does). Some things he does for her are so sweet - letting her drive his Corvette just so she can get over her PTSD, and then when she bangs up his car (that she didn't even take his permission to use) he brings her flowers! Flowers, people! Lord, he's boyfriend goals for sure! I hated the way Clara treats him like a dirty secret and when she denies knowing him in front of a bigwig politician, my heart broke so damn much. My boy deserved better! That's why I'm glad the grand gesture came from Clara. Redeemed her somewhat in my eyes.

Though the book is about the sex industry and the MMC works in it, there is surprisingly not that much spice. But the scenes that are there are beautifully written.

This book remains a mixed bag, though I still came out liking it for the most part (mostly because of the MMC)

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Romance Renegades

Posted: 18 days ago

THIS IS A "MEMBERS ONLY" POST
To view this post you need to Log in to India Forums.
foreverlazy thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Prize Winner (2022) 0 Thumbnail + 9

Romance Renegades

Posted: 17 days ago

Book Title: She Drives Me Crazy

Author: Kelly Quindlen

Sub-Genre: Contemporary/YA/Sports Romance/LGBTQIA+

Year Published: 2021

Language: English 

Narrative type: first-person/single PoV/present tense/HEA (Told from the perspective of Scottie Zajac.)

Trope/s: enemies to lovers, fake dating, small-town romance (?)  

Triggers: the ramifications of a toxic former partner

Maturity Rating: 1

Book Rating: INFINITY 5.75

Synopsis or Book blurb: After an embarrassing loss to her ex-girlfriend in their first basketball game of the season, seventeen-year-old Scottie Zajac gets into a fender bender with the worst possible person: her nemesis, Irene Abraham, head cheerleader for the Fighting Reindeer.

Irene is as mean as she is beautiful, so Scottie makes a point to keep her distance. When the accident sends Irene’s car to the shop for weeks’ worth of repairs and the girls are forced to carpool, their rocky start only gets bumpier.

But when an opportunity arises for Scottie to get back at her toxic ex—and climb her school’s social ladder—she bribes Irene into an elaborate fake- dating scheme that threatens to reveal some very real feelings.

Spoiler-free review: I read this entire book in 4-5 hours and the only reason it took me this long was because I had to pause to cry. I'm not kidding, I was sobbing, my vision blurred - I had to finish crying before I could continue reading the book, which happened at least 3 times. I've re-read this book so many times, it's honestly a comfort read, my new Christmas tradition is to read this book.

Okay, I am going to try my best to make this as non-spoiler-y as I possibly can, but I spoil something any way because I love this book so much, I apologize in advance.

Imagine taking some classic, fan-favourite tropes (aka fake-dating, enemies-to-lovers, jock/cheerleader) and actually having them be more grounded and heart-wrenching and honestly, realistic. Oh, and it's about an interracial gay couple instead of straight, white couple #186489. You watch these girls be petty and mean and fall in love and it's FUN! But then you get to see them grow as people and put that growth before their relationship (AS THEY SHOULD) and it breaks your heart over and over again.

=>Characterization. 

One of my favourite things about this book was that we were introduced to these characters via qualities instead of appearances. We are introduced to our narrator, Scottie, with her basketball game that kind of shows us where her head's at. And it's Scottie who then introduces us to everyone else because we see this world through her eyes. (take a shot every time I use some variation of the word introduce) That's why Tally (her ex) was introduced with Scottie telling us how they first met. That's why Danielle (Scottie's best-friend) was introduced as a leader and that's something that is consistent throughout the book (Danielle Vision is a brilliant term, the writer in me is so upset that I've never thought of something similar before!). That's why Irene is introduced as the mean cheer captain. My favourite introduction though, hands down, was Irene's best-friend Honey-Belle - she was introduced to us as a very sweet girl because she's the only one to ask Scottie if she's okay and she's the first one to be at Irene's side after the accident.

("Like a Care Bear magicked to life" - best line of the century, everyone else go home.)

=>Setting. 

Grandma Earl is one of those settings that can be considered as a character of its own. This town is so well-represented by its people who are protective and proud and honestly incredibly petty when it comes to Grandma Earl. (Scottie's mom and Irene's mom first bonded over how much they hate the neighbouring town, Candlehawk and it was brilliant.) I have more thoughts on this setting, but like, those thoughts are not spoiler-free. smiley36

=>The aftermath of Scottie's breakup with Tally. 

Something that I really enjoyed about this book was how the little cracks in Tally and Scottie's relationship were things that Scottie was definitely aware of and acknowledged, but then she'd remember these fleeting moments in their relationship that meant everything to her (usually because she'd see/think of Tally) and that's one of the most honest portrayals of a toxic relationship that I've ever seen. You know that this person is bad for you and they make you doubt all these things about yourself, but how can you truly hate someone that once made you feel like the luckiest person in the world?

There was this one brief line where Scottie described dating Tally as "viewing my [her] life through a photo filter" which I think is absolutely brilliant. The imagery of that makes me actually see all these sweet moments that Scottie describes with Tally through Instagram filters, especially because there is such an emphasis on Tally being so obsessed with appearances and Scottie feeling as though she would never measure up to what Tally wants, which is why she felt like she had to apologize for just being herself.

(I think Scottie's older sister Thora definitely described it best when she said, "You've been a walking insecurity since you dated her." It was harsh and it came from a place of both love and frustration, but it was needed.)

I love this book so much! I think that people should definitely read it and probably already have since it came out so long ago, but regardless, I will be recommending this book to every single person that I encounter as soon as I'm done being a complete mess (I cry every time I think about this book). 

DreamOfEndless thumbnail

Thriller Titans

Posted: 17 days ago

Thanks for all the recommendations! ❤️

I am not a big romance reader, but some of the reviews are really interesting.

foreverlazy thumbnail

Romance Renegades

Posted: 13 days ago

Book Title: Damaged Like Us (Like Us #1)

Author: Krista & Becca Ritchie

Sub-Genre: N/A 

Year Published: 2017

Language: English 

Narrative type: first person, dual POV, present tense, HFN

Trope/s: childhood rivals-to-lovers, bodyguard romance, 'one of us is famous' trope 

Triggers: mentions of addiction

Maturity Rating: 5

Book Rating: 4 (infinity if we're talking about the main characters/main couple!!!)

Synopsis or Book blurb: Don’t date your bodyguard. It was the one rule he had to break. Maximoff Hale is a force of nature. A ship unwilling to be steered. Headstrong, resilient, and wholly responsible — the twenty-two-year-old alpha billionaire can handle his unconventional life. By noon, lunch can turn into a mob of screaming fans. By two, his face is all over the internet. Born into one of the most famous families in the country, his celebrity status began at birth. He is certified American royalty. When he’s assigned a new 24/7 bodyguard, he comes face-to-face with the worst case scenario: being attached to the tattooed, MMA-trained, Yale graduate who’s known for “going rogue” in the security team — and who fills 1/3 of Maximoff's sexual fantasies. Twenty-seven-year-old Farrow Keene has one job: protect Maximoff Hale. Flirting, dating, and hot sex falls far, far out of the boundary of his bodyguard duties and into “termination” territory. But when feelings surface, protecting the sexy-as-sin, stubborn celebrity becomes increasingly complicated. Together, boundaries blur, and being exposed could mean catastrophic consequences for both. 

Spoiler-free review:  Me reading the first Addicted World book and then jumping right into the first book from its spin-off series? More likely than you’d think.

Reading the book out of order was definitely not a good idea because the Core 6 are all well-established and the Addicted series probably covered how they set up their businesses and charities, so to get all this info from Moffy when I haven’t seen how they got there is super weird, I absolutely regret reading out of order now. And I swear the writing in this book compared to Addicted To You gave me whiplash because there’s like a four-year gap between when the two books were released, so Krista and Becca Ritchie have had time to improve as writers and it shows. I honestly found myself liking the writing style of Damaged Like Us a lot more than Addicted To You. I think some people didn’t really like how in Moffy’s POV he would kind of address the readers in a way, like almost breaking the fourth wall, but I personally thought it was kind of cute (mostly because I tend to talk to myself and talk out loud a lot, and that’s kind of the vibe Moffy also gives off). I also think the little sporadic paragraphs Moffy had, kind of introducing his siblings and cousins was a really cute touch, it was almost like he was asked to say one thing about a family member every time and he would have the most random fact but it made sense and honestly just added to the rest of the story.

I loved this book so much!!! Maximoff Hale is hands-down one of my favourite characters ever and I would die for him. There are certain aspects of his personality that I really related to, like how he’s just constantly overthinking everything and a lot of that comes from being the eldest child. This man is the blueprint of eldest sibling trauma energy and I do tend to have a bit of a soft spot for eldest siblings, especially ones in his position (not only is he the eldest sibling, he’s the oldest out of all 13 cousins!). I feel like it was just expected of him to constantly think about his family and look out for his younger siblings/cousins to the point where he’s lowkey a parental figure… and here’s the thing - Moffy adores his family and doesn’t have a resentful bone in his body, but eldest children internalize a lot of those expectations and it affects their lives in ways that they might never realize (the fact that he’s in 12 different group chats with his family - truly my worst nightmare). I just really connected to Moffy in a way that I didn’t expect and all you really need to know is that I would go to war for Maximoff Hale.

Something else I adore about Moffy is how he feels like such a good mix of the Core 6. You can see a lot of Lily’s personality in him and he absolutely comes off as someone who grew up in a super nerdy household like Lily and Lo’s with all his references. He’s obviously a lot like Ryke, but he has similar traits to Connor and his aunts as well, and this is highlighted throughout the book. For example, how Jane said Moffy will get explicitly creative with his death threats the same way Rose does. I’m actually curious to see if this is something that remains exclusive to Moffy or if in Jane’s book you’ll kind of get to see that she shares traits with the Core 6 as well and it makes sense since they’re the two oldest.

Speaking of Jane, I loved her and Moffy’s dynamic, so that f*cking ending with the parents pissed me off so much! I don’t even need to read the entire series to know that their reaction was such bullshit, out-of-character behaviour. Realistically, if your kids are in a position where they can’t make friends outside of their own family, then of course Moffy’s best-friend is gonna be his cousin and they’ll completely lack boundaries (this entire family has never met a boundary in their lives), like, everything about that plot point makes me want to tear my hair out, that was so unnecessary! I was shaking because of how angry I was reading that part!

I genuinely believe that this was the only way the writers could think of to have everyone find out about Moffy and Farrow, and I call bullshit! (I took one star off just for this part.)

Anyway, on to things that make me less mad - Moffy and Farrow! I adore Moffy and Farrow - I mean, I have to, the book is about them. But genuinely, I loved their banter because it felt like two best-friends taking every opportunity they could to tease each other and there’s something so wholesome about their dynamic before getting together that I think is just so underappreciated. And while the childhood friends to lovers trope doesn’t completely apply to them, I really liked how elements of the trope could be seen in their relationship with Moffy and Farrow knowing each other’s families so well and surprising each other with things that they remembered from when they were younger. Also, the way Moffy was instantly antagonistic towards Thatcher because he could tell what an asshole he was to Farrow, and then Farrow doing the same with Charlie - if you can’t be irrationally defensive of me, then you’re just not the one.

Little things that were written in here for me specifically:

• There are a lot of things here for me to like as a Marvel fan, but Luna writing Stucky fanfiction for Moffy took me tf out. (but also, writing fanfiction for your sibling was the most unrealistic part of the entire book, and this family is supposed to be the Kardashians of the Philadelphian suburbs) 

• Moffy’s dog being named Gotham because true nerds love both DC and Marvel, fight me.

• Moffy himself being named after Pietro Maximoff, but in my head he was named after Wanda, and that is the canon I choose to believe.

• “Moffy! You’re a Hufflepuff. Be nice.” - respectfully Lily, your son is textbook Gryffindor, maybe re-read Harry Potter again babe

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Romance Renegades

Originally posted by: foreverlazy

I loved this book so much!!! Maximoff Hale is hands-down one of my favourite characters ever and I would die for him. There are certain aspects of his personality that I really related to, like how he’s just constantly overthinking everything and a lot of that comes from being the eldest child. This man is the blueprint of eldest sibling trauma energy and I do tend to have a bit of a soft spot for eldest siblings, especially ones in his position (not only is he the eldest sibling, he’s the oldest out of all 13 cousins!). I feel like it was just expected of him to constantly think about his family and look out for his younger siblings/cousins to the point where he’s lowkey a parental figure… and here’s the thing - Moffy adores his family and doesn’t have a resentful bone in his body, but eldest children internalize a lot of those expectations and it affects their lives in ways that they might never realize (the fact that he’s in 12 different group chats with his family - truly my worst nightmare). I just really connected to Moffy in a way that I didn’t expect and all you really need to know is that I would go to war for Maximoff Hale.

I want to read this book just for this part. I relate a lot to the eldest sibling syndrome - was obsessed with Bridgerton Season 2 largely because of this and how they portrayed what extremes that particular trauma can make you do!

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Romance Renegades

Book Title: Act your age, Eve Brown (Brown Sisters Trilogy #3)

Author: Talia Hibbert

Year Published: 2021

Genre: Contemporary M/F Romance

Narrative Type: Linear, Third Person, Alternating PoVs

Trope/s: Boss-employee, Enemies-to-friends-to-lovers, Grumpy-Sunshine, Forced Proximity (Shared living space)

Maturity Rating: 3.5? (Idk, I'm really bad at rating levels of smut smiley36, but the scenes are ermm quite ..there)

Book rating: 4.5

Synopsis (my own, not book blurb): 

Eve Brown is big, Black, beautiful, badass but also a butterfly who flits and floats and freely flies through every job she's ever had. And not just jobs, she has pretty much done this through school too - dropping out of performing arts school, then law school, then teacher school 😆. When her last job (wedding planner) also meets an untimely death thanks to some starving doves that needed to be freed, her parents give her an ultimatum - hold down a job for a year and stop acting like a privileged brat or be chucked out of the trust fund they've set up for her. Eve is seething with righteous anger and she drives straight out of London to the Lake District and enters the town of Skybriar on a whim because it sounds like a fairytale. And Voila! She finds a job vacancy for a chef at a charming B & B called Castell Cottage. Almost like an unseen fairy godmother has blessed her. Never mind that it is pouring like a bat out of hell and she is soaked. Until she meets Mr. Grumpy (Or Mr. Bitchy McBitcherson) himself, Jacob Wayne, owner of said B & B who is not impressed by her lack of a CV and even less by her abysmal driving skills which might have something to do with him being knocked down by her car and her being thankful he wasn’t a puppy😀. Jacob ends up with his right hand in a cast and having committed to a stall at the annual Pemberton Gingerbread festival (kind of a big deal event), leaves him no choice but to hire Eve as chef. Even if he hasn't yet tested out her cooking skills. (Sidenote: he gets to test out her 'other' skills too but mostly he gets to try out his skills on her! 😆). The two go from being enemies to a tentative friendship and the next step is obviously being lovers. But Jacob's lack of a stable childhood has left him somewhat traumatised and Eve has lots to prove about being responsible to herself and her family. Is there a happily-ever-after for them?

Review: 

Let me Squeal first! AHHHHHHHHHH EEEEEEE! I freaking loved this book! ❤️

I've been recommended this series by so many people (I've lost count actually) so I've had this in my TBR for a while. Idk why I started with Book #3. Perhaps because the blurb seemed to be the most intriguing. It also was the highest rated on GR - which I usually never go by, but it did give me the impetus to read this. This was a somewhat slow read for me, I kept putting it down and that made me think initially that it wasn't as compelling as some other romances I've read. But I had this stupid grin on my face when I finished it, and also a lot of LOL moments throughout when I was reading, and it also got me sniffling a bit. So all in all, a pretty satisfying experience for a romance. The slow reading was just due to real-life getting in the way and a possible burnout from reading so much lately. But it allowed me to savour this book more. And there was a lot to savour because Hibbert's language is so quirky and funny and there is a lot of detail. And also it's quintessentially Brit which was another refreshing change cos I've been reading a lot of American authors recently. 

Hibbert is also Black so she checks off the WoC author self-imposition I had set myself.

Plus the leads are both Autistic which is a representation that was absolutely welcome.

Eve is also plus-sized which is again a representation you don't see much and I love how that is never alluded to and never a point of contention for anyone. She is beautiful to Jacob right from the get-go. 

She is also quirky with her purple hair and her hilariously captioned orange T-shirts. TL;DR she is delightful (and very self-aware of this fact, she reminded me of Jab We Met's Geet here 😆), but she's also a hot mess. 

Jacob - OHHHH.EMMMM.GEEE. This guy. This GUY. THIS G.U.Y!  Lucky, lucky Eve. But also, lucky Jacob because rarely have I read stories in which both MCs are so friggin' cute. 

I love how in sync they are. That comfort is evident even in their initial banter. They never have to hide their true selves around each other. And the banter is delicious even when the initial animosity (really shortlived) dissolves.

“If you ever call me sweet again, I’ll report you to HR.”

“Who’s HR?”

“I’m HR.”

Jacob is stiff, exacting and anal-retentive and Eve does not mince words telling him so even while she sneaks into his office space and makes it her temporary living space. Even when she uses his soap and shares his bathroom. Even when she feeds bread to the evil waterfowl in his pond causing him to chase after them shirtless and causing her to fall into the above-mentioned pond, that in turn causes him to pull her out with his one good hand, algae and slime notwithstanding. With me so far?

He's also anal about how tight the sheets fit. So as his only employee and with him having only good hand, Eve gets a lesson in fitting sheets. She also reads each of his Employee handbooks starting with How not to f*ck up my health rating to Locals love money, much to his amazement. Because he wrote them himself for himself because he does not understand social cues, sarcasm and jokes. But he certainly cracks a lot of them around Eve. 

Oh this man notices everything about her. Including how she hums randomly and brings up stimming. Not directly, because he couldn't do that. But he helps her find a vital part of herself and explain why she is the way she is. 

What I love about Jacob is how he puts Eve first, her needs are paramount for him. He's ever so careful about not crossing a line. And he's always ready to apologize. Always. 

He was going to apologize so goddamn hard, and then some more, and then some more, just to really emphasize the point.”

And how much he respects her and thinks the world of her and she sees it. 

“You do that a lot, too.” Her glossy lips tipped up into a smile. “The whole ‘respecting me’ bit.”

He's the fiercest soldier in the Eve Brown Defense Squad and I love that for her.

“Apparently, he couldn’t bear to hear Eve Brown criticized. Not even by herself.”

Jacob's fears of rejection stem from how his parents unceremoniously dumped him with his aunt cause he was cramping their nomadic lifestyle. And also because....

“Jacob didn’t like people easily, but once he did like them, it was always too far and too fast. He had to temper himself, had to be careful.”

The sex scenes are cute. I know this is a strange description because they are explicit. But at the same time there is a touch of realism to them, they talk a lot and say the funniest sh*t and that makes it all the more endearing. I enjoyed them and it was a refreshing change again from the usual hot girl and hot guy boning hotly stuff that you normally read. 

When the final conflict popped up, I rolled my eyes at first, because I was like - nope. This is just unnecessary drama. Jacob wouldn't do this to the woman he loves. I began badmouthing the author for ruining a character I'd come to love. And then, in a few pages, I realized Hibbert loves Jacob as much as I do. And she knows Jacob better than anyone else (save for Eve). Because the resolution is so freaking cute I can't. I wanted to hug both of them. And then I wanted to say this :

This book was to me all that a good, fluffy romance should be. I was rooting so hard for their HEA because I cared about both of them and I could see how much they cared about each other. 

I mean how can you resist an MMC who thinks like this?

“But Jacob couldn’t see a world in which he didn’t try his f*cking hardest for Eve Brown, and if that meant setting himself up for the most brutal rejection of his life, well. He supposed he’d just have to deal with it.”

And how do you resist an FMC who lays her heart on the line like this? 

“You are so brave and you are absolutely beautiful and I’m so happy you’re here, and anyone who doesn’t want you as much as you want them is a f*cking donut, Jacob, because you are just the most wantable man on planet Earth.”

I also loved all the ancillary characters: Mont, Alex, Tessa, Aunt Lucy, Gigi, Shivani, and Chloe and Dani and their boyfriends. 

I'm absolutely going to be reading Chloe and Dani's stories because they also have inter-racial non-neurotypical leads. So yayy! Wait for those reviews.

ETA: I have since read Chloe's story, and I loved it too (& Red). Yet to read Dani's. I think I like Talia's style of inclusive writing!

foreverlazy thumbnail

Romance Renegades

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

I want to read this book just for this part. I relate a lot to the eldest sibling syndrome - was obsessed with Bridgerton Season 2 largely because of this and how they portrayed what extremes that particular trauma can make you do!

Honestly, Moffy mostly has eldest sibling anxiety, I'm the one with the trauma. 

All the books I've read are starting to blend together in my head, but last year I listened to the CU Hockey series by Saxon James and Eden Finley, and the final book in the series was about a character named Westley Dalton who recently took custody of his five younger siblings after their parents died and he's kind of just falling part and that's literally just 75% of the book. (he has six siblings in total, his younger brother Asher is 23 and a pain in the ass who has his own book in the series).

Edited by foreverlazy - 12 days ago
foreverlazy thumbnail

Romance Renegades

Posted: 12 days ago

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Oh this man notices everything about her. Including how she hums randomly and brings up stimming. Not directly, because he couldn't do that. But he helps her find a vital part of herself and explain why she is the way she is. 

What I love about Jacob is how he puts Eve first, her needs are paramount for him. He's ever so careful about not crossing a line. And he's always ready to apologize. Always. 

He was going to apologize so goddamn hard, and then some more, and then some more, just to really emphasize the point.”

And how much he respects her and thinks the world of her and she sees it. 

“You do that a lot, too.” Her glossy lips tipped up into a smile. “The whole ‘respecting me’ bit.”

He's the fiercest soldier in the Eve Brown Defense Squad and I love that for her.

“Apparently, he couldn’t bear to hear Eve Brown criticized. Not even by herself.”

I've been looking to read this trilogy for a while now, but I just haven't been able to get around to it. This part really sold the book for me though because a lot of the grumpyxsunshine books I read sometimes just have an unnecessarily rude MMC, so knowing that this book gives us such a respectful and supportive man is definitely a big positive for me.

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 days ago

King of Sloth (Kings of Sin, #4) by Ana Huang | Goodreads

Book Title: King Of Sloth (#3 King Of Sin Series)

Author: Ana Huang

Year Published: 2024

Genre: Contemporary M/F Romance

Trope/s: Client-Agent, He Falls First, Enemies-to-lovers, Reverse Grumpy-Sunshine, 

Maturity Rating: 3 (Smut was there...nothing over the top) 

Book rating: 3.8

King of Sloth is a pleasant surprise compared to King of Pride, the previous book in the Kings of Sin series. It's got a livelier pace and a more engaging FMC Sloane. I loved how she held her own in a demanding career despite the judgment from family and that awful ex-fiancé shenanigans.

However, it doesn't quite reach the heights of Ana Huang's best work. Twisted Hate remains the gold standard, and King of Wrath was a solid 4 stars for me. King of Sloth is  somewhere between – entertaining, but not quite exceptional.

Xavier's character development felt a little rushed. His transition from carefree playboy to serious businessman happened too quickly, lacking the nuance that would have made it truly believable.

Overall, King of Sloth is a fun, light read, but it doesn't crack Ana Huang's top tier. If you're looking for a scorching romance with a strong female lead, you'll enjoy it. But if you're hoping for another Twisted Hate, you might be left wanting.

Quotes 

“That was your first and final warning,” I said, my words quiet enough to reach only his ears. “Touch, talk, or even think about Sloane again, and I’ll make what Richard McEntire did to that ball boy with his tennis racket look like a walk in the f*cking park. That includes any indirect contact. If you make her life difficult in any way, you’ll be blacklisted from New York society so fast, it’ll make your head spin.”

“I was work. Work was me. The thought of abandoning it for even a minute made my stomach cramp.”

“I needed her the way the ocean tides needed the moon, and I would give anything for her to feel a fraction of the same way toward me.”

“I knew she loved sushi because it was neat and easy to eat on the go. I knew she preferred double cheeseburgers when she was on her period and steak, medium rare, at client dinners unless her client was vegetarian, in which case she ordered soup and salad.”